Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Rules...


For Feb. 2-8, the goal is to eat as cheaply as possible. But to keep my brother from finding Ramen noodles somewhere 5/$1, drinking only water and then declaring himself the winner, we need rules.

I propose:
- Three meals a day, at least. 
- You can't eat the same thing more than 3 nights during the 7-day challenge. I.E., no soup every night.
- Condiments you already have on hand don't count, including margarine, olive oil, mustard, ketchup, spices. I can't be expected to figure out how much a tablespoon of mustard from a jar I bought last year costs. I'm a writer.
- At least two servings of fruits/vegetables a day. Juice counts. 

Aaron, I know you've suggested we can get three free meals - i.e., meals someone else paid for - but if part of the spirit of the challenge is to live as those who really have to watch their $ live, how many financially challenged people get invited to places with posh buffets? (I'm thinking of somewhere I already have an invitation to next week). Maybe one free meal during the week? And it has to be a meal you eat in one sitting. No having a friend order you a large pizza that you nosh on for three nights. 

What other rules am I forgetting, baby bro? 

2 comments:

  1. What about buffets? One Saturday stop to the Lucky China Buffet and I could eat for four hours (lunch into dinner). I'm good for the whole day with only spending $5.99. Does this count as one meal? Are people from the South even socially equipped to eat cheap and healthy? I've got to see this.

    -D. Mack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, our rules say we have to eat three meals a day.... so the buffet would be out.

    And for $6, I could buy so many groceries, it's not funny. It's amazing how quickly your perspective changes on what's expensive and what's not when you're counting pennies - literally.

    ReplyDelete