Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 3 update

Breakfast and Lunch were the same today. 21.5 cent oatmeal and banana for breakfast, and 27 and 1/3 cents for peanut butter sandwiches (no time to hit the drive thru today). You know what they look like by now, no photos necessary.

For dinner I had my 3rd and final free meal of the week - sushi! Sushi is a particular love of mine, but it is also normally pretty expensive, so it was cool that I got to get some free sushi this week. And this wasn't some totally unrealistic invitation-only sushi dinner that someone poor would never be able to get. This was a totally free happy hour that this restaurant around the corner from me throws every Wednesday night. I knew I was going to hit this up before this challenge even began. The crowd looked to be the regular happy hour crowd - thirty-somethings drinking fruity drinks at the bar, stopping by the free sushi only once so as not to look as budget as they probably were, and skully-wearing shameless Georgia Tech students returning to the back of the line as soon as they got their plate, cueing up for round 2. I didn't exactly fit the mold of either crowd. I was still wearing my suit and tie from the office, but firmly entrenched in the sushi table turnstile.

I was playing cute at first. My first plate (the first pic), I just got 8 pieces of sushi, seeing as how there were several people behind me and I wanted to be polite. But as I was pouring out some soy sauce, I looked up to see this 4'11 girl behind me carefully balancing her plate so her mountain of tuna and avocado didn't go cascading across the stained concrete. Everyone behind her seemed to be following suit. You see what I did for round 2 (2nd pic above).

I had this meal at around 6pm, so I'm hoping it holds me over until the morning. But bottom line - it was free.

Tally at the end of three days: $1.62 (and 1/6 cent - nyah!)

No comments:

Post a Comment