Monday, February 2, 2009

My First Breakfast, Lunch


21.5 cents. And yes, we're counting half cents. I had, probably not coincidentally, a serving (a full one) of oatmeal with some cinnamon and a banana, same meal as Wendi (just twice as big). Unlike Wendi, I'm fine with oatmeal. This is actually the same breakfast I used to have on one of my health kicks a few years back. I could easily do this all week. I got 7 bananas for 90 cents, so they're about 13 cents each, and my serving of oatmeal was 8.5 cents. I'm guessing Wendi found some bananas for cheaper than I did...


Today we had a luncheon at work where my boss ordered in sandwiches and chips from Jason's deli. 2 meals down, 21.5 cents spent. I usually don't even eat a breakfast as big as I did this morning, so I wasn't super hungry. But I utilized a skill I picked up during my super-broke college days: when you can eat for free, eat like a bear storing up for hibernation.


6 comments:

  1. Aha... just read your post again and saw that you only ate half a banana. Sounds like I got the cheaper oatmeal and banana meal after all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.angelfoodministries.com

    This project is certainly timely. Check out the above site for affordable food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, great site Jeancyn - one of our readers posted a link to angel food ministries in a comment on one of our first posts. In fact, I've already ordered a few boxes of food from them, to arrive late this month. I'll be making use of them in regular life after this experiment is over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, I will no longer follow if you continue to post oatmeal and banana pics on your site. I almost lost my lunch, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, I'm with KB -- let's try to make the pics pretty. impressive stats for both of you, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pic is sick. Glad you are finding cheap meals, but it is possible to eat good looking food with little money, you just need to be more creative then oatmeal. (i am with Wendi, its gross.)

    ReplyDelete