Friday, February 6, 2009

Just Two Days Left....

Today was a bit different - as I am starving. Aaron's right - I didn't eat much yesterday because I knew I had a free meal coming. I could hold out because fried chicken thighs were dancing in my mind.

Today - no free meal. So I had to eat.

Breakfast - 1/2 serving of lentil soup. And maybe not even that much, but I had to put something on my stomach: 10 cents
Snack: A hard-boiled egg because seriously, I thought I was going to faint: 11 cents
Lunch: 1/3 can of pork and beans (16 cents - the beans are so tasteless, it's not funny) and two hotdogs (9 cents each) and 2 pieces of cornbread (this batch - I made a new one, yielded six muffins, so the cost per muffin went down to 9 cents): 52 cents
Dinner: TBA, but maybe just salad mix because I want to win.

Aside from the days I've gotten a free meal, I know I'm not eating even 1200 calories. And today, I hit the wall.... I really did feel dull, mentally, because I'm hungry. And I haven't been taking my usual multivitamin, because it's not part of the rules.

Just had a conversation with a friend about poverty and she was saying why a lot of poor people are overweight is because they eat a lot of bad carbs. Because carbs tend to be cheap AND they release serotonin in the brain, which makes you feel good. (This is ala poverty guru Ruby Payne, who was in town presenting today and my friend heard the presentation).

And it makes sense, because that cornbread made me quite happy. I was irritable, edgy, moody, even feeling depressed, but after I got that cornbread in me, I thought - I can go on. Pretty sad, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment